Sunday, March 28, 2010

What's The Best Way to Assign Keywords...

I'm finally starting to organize my photos with keywords, but something about the way it works in LR2 is driving me batty.

I came back from a concert Saturday night with over 1,000 photos (double coverage by me and my wife).?I'm trying to use keywords to designate the 14 different performers who appeared on the stage at different times during the evening, when there could be anywhere from 1 to 7 performers on the stage at the same time.

Now, it seems to me the easiest way to assign these keywords would be:

1) select a series of photos in which one or more performers appear

2) in either the ''keyword suggestions'' or ''keyword set'' panel, click on the keyword ''buttons'' I've already created from the performers names.

But this doesn't always work.?I note that when I highlight a number of photos, ONE is more brightly highlighted than the others, and sometimes, that's the ONLY one that gets the keywords I just clicked on. Apparently, that one image is more ''selected'' than the others in the series I've highlighted.

It would not be quite so infuriating if that approach didn't work at all, but the oddity seems to be that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, and I don't know what I'm doing different when it does or doesn't work.

What does work universally is to to the ''Keyword List'' panel and type in the name I need, and then right click when the name comes up and select ''add keyword to selected photos.''?That seems to work every time.

Or, I can type ''Click here to add keywords,'' type in the name I need, and hit return twice.?That assigns the keyword to all the selected images.?But then I have to do it again for every performer that appears in that series of frames.

Like I say, the easiest scenario would be the 1-2 step I outlined above, but I cant seem to get that to work all the time.

Anybody know the trick to getting that 1-2 scenario to work every time?

Thanks,

--PS

What's The Best Way to Assign Keywords...

Remember that you need to be in Grid view before keywords (actually pretty much every form of metadata) will be applied to all selected images.

What's The Best Way to Assign Keywords...

I am not sure if it is still the case with the most recent version of LR, but in the past if in the Library mode I select multiple images from the filmstrip at the bottom of the screen instead of from the grid itself, then metadata changes only effect the first selected image.?If instead I select them from the grid itself, all images are modified.?You might see if this is still the case.?Also, getting out of LR and restarting might help.

I have v2.3 and it does indeed add keywords to multiple images.

Jeff

I am not sure if it is still the case with the most recent version of LR, but in the past if in the Library mode I select multiple images from the filmstrip at the bottom of the screen instead of from the grid itself, then metadata changes only effect the first selected image.?If instead I select them from the grid itself, all images are modified.

Oh, wow.?I have exactly the same problem of LR not assigning keywords to all my selected images.

I will try the grid, select the grid and not the filmstrip, and look for the current image metadata checkbox as well.

BTW, Adobe told me to delete the preferences file, which I did.

They told me to optomize the catalog, which I did.

And, lastly they told me to create a new catalog and import all the data from my old catalog, which I did not do.

Stand by ...

Wow, that is it.?You folks solved my problem.

Library Mode, select in the grid OR filmstrip (yep-but harder to see in the filmstrip anyway),

COULD NOT FIND-look for the current image metadata checkbox as well.

Michael

OK, seems like we're getting to the heart of this particular mystery...thanks for all the posts.?One more question:

%26gt;%26gt;even if your in Grid,make sure +Metadata %26gt;+ +Show Metadata for Target Photo Only+ is *not* checked, otherwise changes will affect the primary select only.%26lt;%26lt;%26lt;

Where does that show up? Is it something in Preferences, or something that shows up in the Metadata panel in Library?

Thanks,

--PS

Where does that show up? Is it something in Preferences, or something that shows up in the Metadata panel in Library?

No comments:

Post a Comment