Friday, March 26, 2010

Crop marks in CS4

In CS3 I was able to use crop marks to export the file to a .bmp format and only the graphic in the selected area would be shown.?Now in CS4 I am not longer able to do so. The option to only use the range of the artboard is not selectable in the export menu. Any ideas on how I might be able to accomplish this??

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

Crop marks in CS4

Have you tried to use the Artboard tool from the tool box to adjust the size of the artboard to only include the area you want?

Crop marks in CS4

Yes, I have one artboard that is sized to the size of the artwork that I want.

In my installation, the Use Artboards is already checked. You may try to reset the preferences by reopening AI and mash Cmd-Opt-Ctrl-Shft to get a dialog and say yes to resetting your preferences.

On my setup, that whole menu area is grayed out.?It shows the values you had perviously had selected on other exports.?If I were exporting PNG I could select that check mark, and then move to a BMP file type and the check mark will stay, but have no effect on the export.?

The cmd-opt-ctrl-shft did not pull up a dialog.?I tried it with a file open, at the opening splash, and at the opening menu.?I didn't see a reset preferences option in the preferences menu either.

Thanks for your suggestions so far!

Command-Option-Shift when you launch Illustrator, not open a file.

No luck with the creation of the BMP file.?I got the reset to occur.

I blew it by telling you to use the Ctrl key in the sequence. It is Cmd-Opt-Shift and gives no warning of the preferences being reset. You must do it as you are clicking the app to launch. When I try the .bmp it defaults to the artwork bounds not the page or artboard.

May be a bug....

Seems the limitation is due to the BMP format. As soon as you pick that format the ''Use Artboard'' is not available.

To get around it you can try this... Draw a rectangle around your artwork. Make certain the rectangle has no fill or stroke. Then export to BMP.

The export will use that non-filled rectangle as image boundaries.

I'm rather inexperienced in Illustrator, so my terminology might not be right.?But yes, the artwork bounds is what is being exported.?I only want a selected area of that to export.?I used to be able to use the crop marks in CS3 to do that.

I tried creating a new file with the size I wanted and pasted the the art work over.?The end result didn't change.

So you only want a portion of the artwork to show?

Looks like this is a severe limitation with the BMP export in CS4.

I can't find a way around it. I'll log a bug, but that doesn't help you much.

You may have to go back to CS3, export to another format and use Photoshop to convert the format. Or copy %26gt; paste into Photoshop to create a BMP file.

Correct I only need part of the artwork to show on the export.

No luck with the non filled rectangle.

I tried it both with and with out a stroke to help define the border.

In short, CS2 Can do things that CS3 Can't, and CS3 Can do things that CS4 Can't. Going from bad to worse in 2 versions. I wonder what CS5 wont do?

Does anyone know when an update for CS4 will be released?

I am having the same problem, but I'm trying to export in PNG format (trying export only 'cropped' area).

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

-Carla-

  • spots
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment