Sunday, March 28, 2010

Is Photoshop CS3 Font Preview...

Hello -

I cannot find this exact problem addressed by searching the forums.?I relied heavily on this feature and hope there is just a different way to access it now.

In Photoshop 7 when choosing font selections, you first had the text highlighted - then put your cursor in the font name window to highlight the selection in the box - then you arrow up and down through the entire list and the text would change accordingly, giving a real-time and real-life demonstration.?This made choosing fonts a breeze.

I realize there is the word 'sample' to the right of the font name now, but that's small consolation.

Is there a way to access this handy feature, please?

Thank you from Catherine.

Is Photoshop CS3 Font Preview...

You have to dis-able the font preview in the font drop-down list to get the live preview effect you are describing.

Is Photoshop CS3 Font Preview...

John - Thank you for responding so quickly.

Actually, from reading other posts prior to posting my own question, I saw that solution and had tried it, to no avail.?I just double checked to ensure that the checkbox (as you picture it) is indeed blank/unchecked.

Now, yes, I can arrow up and down through the list, and the black highlighting around my selected text does change in size somewhat - but the text characters themselves do not change in appearance (or size) whatsoever.

Something doesn't sound right.?I have Photoshop CS3 Extended 10.0.1.

Update:

I am using 2 monitors and after wrestling with this problem on the large monitor had minimized Photoshop to the smaller monitor temporarily.?Then I resized it bacl on the big monitor.?Then I went back to making screen prints to submit to the forum - and the resizing / preview feature in the arrow-dropdown boxes (both in character and at the top) REappeared.?In the meantime, (I had turned type preview (medium) BACK ON because I didn't like the word 'sample' not showing.?I had also closed and reopened PS several times to 'set' the options after changes.)

Anyway, it's back working - for whatever reason!

You should commit the text 閳?not leave it highlighted.


Then the typeface changes as you arrow up and down.

It's entirely possible I'm not explaining my issue very well.

I tried what you said just now - but once I commit the text, then the highlighting naturally drops off - and while you can indeed arrow up and down in the list to see the font choices, the text itself on the page does not change visually to reflect the style of the the corresponding font name showing in the dropdown box - because that text is no longer selected.?Now, to 'keep' whatever font choice I decide on, I have to 'commit' that choice.

With the font name highlighted in the dropdown box and the text highlighted on the page, I can either arrow up and down or use the mouse center scroll button to travel through the list, equally well.?As each font name comes and goes, that style chages the text accordingly to the font style selected.

My type options are back on the original checkbox for preview and medium default.

What I was asking for, which seemed to have suddently disappeared, is still back working again.

Oh well!

Having done a bit of checking, here's an update on previewing fonts live in your document.


The setting change in preferences is not necessary if, after creating the text you commit it with the tick button in the Options bar (or press Enter) and then click inside the font list window and use the arrow keys to move through the fonts. Don't activate the drop-down.


Sorry for any confusion.

I don't know whether you are pleased or irritated!?

Hi John -

Sorry, I sent my last answer via email and it posted blank.?Here it is again, and 'of course' I am pleased both that someone cared enough to try to help and also that the glitch in my program straightened out.?Here's that reply earlier this morning that didn't show up properly on the forum:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for being so helpful, John.?Much appreciated.

Yes, what you have clearly described below is exactly what I was doing - which had always worked, but suddenly stopped working that day I wrote the forum.

I type my word(s), then must highlight them (no committing yet) - then click inside the character dropdown box (either one) and click it to highlight the font name showing - then when both text and font name are highlighted, I can scroll with the mouse scroll or arrow up and down and watch the text change accordingly as each new font name is replaced with the one following or preceding it.

I have just about concluded there was one of those unexplainable temporary 'computer glitches' happening that day, since I had closed PS and reopened it several times, which should have shaken off any glitches.?I have used this same font preview technique (carefully outlined in your post below) for five years, and that day it disapeared for about 3 hours.

Just for good measure, I checked it again just now and thankfully it's still working like normally.?Funny how you can get so used to a feature and rely on it, then if it disappears, it's such bad news and can throw you way off.

Anyway, happy ending here - and you are MOST KIND to follow up.?Thank you again.

Well I am pleased too because it sorted my ideas out.?


Too many programs with different ways of doing things.


No comments:

Post a Comment